Mary Kom happy about Priyanka Chopra playing her role in biopic
- Espionage racket with ISI links busted in Jammu, Kolkata; BSF jawan among five arrested
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to attend UN climate summit
- Nepal releases 13 SSB personnel after brief detention
- Turkey to hand over body of dead Russian pilot to Moscow: PM
- Bhushan challenges Kejriwal for public debate on Lokpal Bill
Olympic bronze medallist Mary Kom is happy that Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra is going to essay her life and times in a biopic.
"Any actress is good enough to play my role. They are all talented. I am happy that Priyanka is doing my role," Mary said at an event.
Asked if she would make her silver screen debut with the movie, directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, she said, "It is hard for me. I am not good at acting. I get nervous while facing the camera."
The petite boxer added that she would love to show the film's cast and crew on how they lead their lives in Manipur.
Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom, the ace boxer who is lauded as a national hero after winning the London Olympic bronze, has become a source of inspiration for Bhansali to make a movie based on her.
Belonging to Kom tribal community of north eastern state Manipur, Mary initially tried to hide her interest in boxing from her family, since it was not considered a suitable sport for a woman.
After her victory in the Manipur state women's boxing championship in 2000, her career became public and she started competing at international level at the age of 18.