Massive combing operation in Koraput district
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
Security personnel have launched a massive combing operation at Narayanpatna area of Odisha's Koraput district following intelligence inputs about the presence of top Maoist leaders from Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh in the region.
Around 300 security men from forces like BSF and SOG are on the job since Wednesday.
"A massive operation was launched. Security personnel are being airdropped at specific locations for joint combing," a senior police officer said.
Maoist leaders Ram Krishna, Sukdev, Daya and Aruna are believed to be camping along the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh border to consolidate the organisation that has suffered a setback with the Maoist-backed Chasi Muliya Adivasi Sangh (CMAS) waning and police raiding several hideouts in past few months, he said.
"The extremists have always used CMAS as a shield to carry out their offensives. But in recent times, tribals have realised that they got nothing in the fight between police and Maoists", a source at Narayanpatna said.
Police said villagers are voluntarily coming up with vital information against the Maoists.