‘Mastermind’ behind MD kidnap held
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
A Noida-based businessman who allegedly masterminded the kidnapping of the managing director of Alstom T &D India was arrested by Noida police Sunday. The accused, Akhand Pratap Singh, who reportedly owns several properties in the NCR region, has confessed to planning the kidnapping to pay off his loans, police said.
While three of his accomplices, including the driver were arrested Saturday, two others are on the run. On Friday night, Rathin Basu was returning to his Noida Sector 44 residence from his office, when a WagonR crashed into his vehicle. Basu is the Country President and Managing Director of Alstom T & D India Limited, a power supplier.
Police said the WagonR hit Basu's vehicle, following which Basu and his driver got off to check the damage. However, as soon as they stepped out, the assailants kidnapped them.
The victims were taken to a house in Meerut's Pandav Nagar, from where Basu was rescued after a five-hour joint operation by the Noida and Meerut police.
Investigations led to the arrest of 28-year-old Akhand Pratap Singh, who owns Bungalow number F-3, where Basu was held captive. "During questioning, Akhand Pratap Singh confessed that he had planned the kidnapping as he was facing financial problems.