Maya’s party expels ‘messiah of poor’ Mukhtar Ansari, his brother
- Gurdaspur terror attack ends, all three terrorists killed
- Former president Abdul Kalam passes away following sudden illness
- Will not strike first, but will give a befitting reply: Rajnath Singh
- LG Najeeb Jung clears Swati Maliwal's appointment as DCW chief
- Gurdaspur attack aftermath: BCCI says no cricket ties with Pakistan as of now
The party has also decided "not to take support" of another Ansari brother, Sibgatullah Ansari, who is a legislator from Muhammadabad constituency in Ghazipur district.
In a statement issued by the BSP on Friday, party spokesperson said the Ansari brothers, who had joined the party in 2007, have been expelled with immediate effect.
Mukhtar, who is facing 30 criminal cases including those of murder and kidnapping, is an accused in the case involving the murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai.
Chief Minister Mayawati had once called Mukhtar "a messiah of the poor" had fielded him from Varanasi in the last Lok Sabha elections but he lost to the BJP.
The decision to expel Mukhtar and his brother comes close on the heels of a raid at Ghazipur jail where the authorities found him living a luxurious life. Items like air coolers, LPG stove and cylinder were found from his cell. He was then shifted to a jail in Mathura on April 7.
The BSP today said it had allowed the Ansari brothers to join the party on their request and a promise that they would refrain from any criminal activities in the future, but the recent raid in Ghazipur jail proved he was still involved in criminal activities. The party gave them an opportunity to reform as the brothers had claimed they had been framed in criminal cases for fighting against the feudal system, the spokesperson said.
Asked about the development, Sibgatullah Ansari said: "I won't comment on this. I am still a SP legislator."
The BSP's decision to snap its relations with the Ansari brothers comes a day after the party disowned Hanuman Sharan Shukla, who was shot in Gonda during a party programme to mark B R Ambedkar's birth anniversary on April 14.
According to the BSP statement, in the May 2007 elections, the people of the state had rejected the SP for its close association with criminals and anti-social elements. After forming the government, Mayawati decided to start a drive against criminals and mafias across the state.
At that time, MPs, MLAs and functionaries of different parties had offered to join the BSP, promising they would focus on BSP's programmes and policies. The party adopted a reformative approach towards them and gave them the opportunity to reform themselves.
The party has taken a long time to realise that Mukhtar is still involved in criminal activities. Since the BSP formed the government, Mukhtar has been named in four murder cases while still being behind the bar. These were:
* On July 30, 2008, Dharmendra Singh, a witness in a murder case, was injured and his driver Pramod Yadav died, when attacked by three assailants in Varanasi's Sigra area. When the assailants opened fire, Dharmendra's security guard fired in retaliation in which one of the assailants, Rakesh Yadav, died. Other two assailants, Abhay Yadav and Pawan Patel, were caught by locals and handed over to the police. When they were being taken to the police station, both tried to escape and were shot by the police. Mukhtar was named in the case, but later the victim submitted an affidavit in which he requested to drop the proceedings against Ansari.
* On April 19, 2009, unidentified men shot Kapil Dev Singh in Supwara village in Ghazipur. During the investigation, the police found about the involvement of three persons, including Mukhtar Ansari. The case was solved on the basis of information collected from one of the accused Chandan Yadav, who was arrested. The chargesheet has been filed and Mukhtar Ansari is an accused.
* On August 29, 2009, contractor Ajay Prakash Singh alias Manna Singh was shot by unidentified assailants at Ghazipur crossing in Mau. Two other persons Satbeer and Rajesh Rai were critically injured. During investigation, the police found that the murder had been executed on the behest of Ansari.
Chargesheet has been filed, where Mukhtar Ansari has been named.
* On March 19, 2010, four men shot Ram Singh Maurya and his security guard Satish Kumar in Mau. Five persons, including Mukhtar Ansari were named. Maurya was a key witness in the murder of Ajay Prakash Singh.