Maya targets Ansari for disruptions in RS
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
In an extremely unusual incident, BSP chief Mayawati lashed out at Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari Wednesday, blaming him for the disorder in the House which is preventing the Bill providing reservations for SCs and STs in promotions from being passed.
BSP MPs disrupted the House twice over the issue before it was adjourned for the day. They also disrupted proceedings in the Lok Sabha.
Mayawati entered the House around 11.30 am and soon directed her anger at the chair, blaming Ansari for the Upper House not functioning smoothly after noon. She also criticised the chairman for not being present in the House after Question Hour. Her remarks were later expunged from the records.
Ansari told the BSP chief it was the responsibility of everyone to ensure the House functioned smoothly. But the BSP chief was not willing to calm down and prodded her MPs to raise slogans against the government.
- True patriotism requires you to be able to say I am ashamed of my country in certain respects
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?