Maya targets Ansari for disruptions in RS
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
In an extremely unusual incident, BSP chief Mayawati lashed out at Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari Wednesday, blaming him for the disorder in the House which is preventing the Bill providing reservations for SCs and STs in promotions from being passed.
BSP MPs disrupted the House twice over the issue before it was adjourned for the day. They also disrupted proceedings in the Lok Sabha.
Mayawati entered the House around 11.30 am and soon directed her anger at the chair, blaming Ansari for the Upper House not functioning smoothly after noon. She also criticised the chairman for not being present in the House after Question Hour. Her remarks were later expunged from the records.
Ansari told the BSP chief it was the responsibility of everyone to ensure the House functioned smoothly. But the BSP chief was not willing to calm down and prodded her MPs to raise slogans against the government.
While the chairman seemed to take Mayawati's outburst in his stride in the House, he is learnt to have expressed his frustration later when leaders of other parties called on him in his chamber. "I am upset, it will be difficult to work in such a situation," he is believed to have said. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also called Ansari to express his distress over the incident, it is learnt.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer