BSP and SP stall Rajya Sabha, House adjourned
- Defiant Azam Khan stands by Kargil won by Muslim soldiers remark, gets EC notice
- Lok Sabha polls: Voting picks up in NE states; 40 per cent turnout in Manipur till noon
- SC refrains from staying government move to include Jats in OBC category
- Its image dented, and spread too thin, Aam Aadmi Party struggles in Delhi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: It's in Cong's character to make false promises to win elections, says Modi on Shinde's turf
Allies BSP and SP supporting UPA from outside today created repeated obstructions in Rajya Sabha prompting an angry BJP to allege that the government has decided not to run the House because of its "number game".
Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley also demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is the Leader of the House, should come and clarify whether the government wanted to run the House or not.
However, as the din continued on quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien adjourned the House for the day at noon.
As soon as the House assembled in the morning, BSP stalled the Question Hour demanding construction of a memorial for B R Ambedkar in Mumbai.
Although Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon, BSP chief Mayawati insisted that Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith leading to the adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, Minister of State of Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla made the announcement.
Mayawati then insisted for details of the memorial plan.
As the issue was resolved with an assurance that Textile Minister Anand Sharma will give a detailed reply, SP members trooped into the Well shouting slogans against the quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs. Interestingly, even as BSP members including its chief Mayawati kept silent and remained in their seats, some members from Congress including J D Seelam and Praveen Rashtrapal countered the SP members angrily.
While SP members led by Naresh Agrawal shouted in the well "Promotion Mein Reservation Nahin Chalega", some Congress members shouted back "Promotion Mein Reservation Hokar Rahega".
After the House adjourned for the day, Mayawati sat next to Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley and talked to him briefly. Jaitley and some other BJP leaders were also seen chatting with BSP leader S C Misra.
- Walmart to launch 50 stores in big India push
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move