BSP and SP stall Rajya Sabha, House adjourned
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Allies BSP and SP supporting UPA from outside today created repeated obstructions in Rajya Sabha prompting an angry BJP to allege that the government has decided not to run the House because of its "number game".
Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley also demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is the Leader of the House, should come and clarify whether the government wanted to run the House or not.
However, as the din continued on quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien adjourned the House for the day at noon.
As soon as the House assembled in the morning, BSP stalled the Question Hour demanding construction of a memorial for B R Ambedkar in Mumbai.
Although Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon, BSP chief Mayawati insisted that Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith leading to the adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, Minister of State of Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla made the announcement.
Mayawati then insisted for details of the memorial plan.
As the issue was resolved with an assurance that Textile Minister Anand Sharma will give a detailed reply, SP members trooped into the Well shouting slogans against the quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs. Interestingly, even as BSP members including its chief Mayawati kept silent and remained in their seats, some members from Congress including J D Seelam and Praveen Rashtrapal countered the SP members angrily.
While SP members led by Naresh Agrawal shouted in the well "Promotion Mein Reservation Nahin Chalega", some Congress members shouted back "Promotion Mein Reservation Hokar Rahega".
After the House adjourned for the day, Mayawati sat next to Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley and talked to him briefly. Jaitley and some other BJP leaders were also seen chatting with BSP leader S C Misra.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express