BSP and SP stall Rajya Sabha, House adjourned
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley also demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is the Leader of the House, should come and clarify whether the government wanted to run the House or not.
However, as the din continued on quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien adjourned the House for the day at noon.
As soon as the House assembled in the morning, BSP stalled the Question Hour demanding construction of a memorial for B R Ambedkar in Mumbai.
Although Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon, BSP chief Mayawati insisted that Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith leading to the adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, Minister of State of Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla made the announcement.
Mayawati then insisted for details of the memorial plan.
As the issue was resolved with an assurance that Textile Minister Anand Sharma will give a detailed reply, SP members trooped into the Well shouting slogans against the quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs. Interestingly, even as BSP members including its chief Mayawati kept silent and remained in their seats, some members from Congress including J D Seelam and Praveen Rashtrapal countered the SP members angrily.
While SP members led by Naresh Agrawal shouted in the well "Promotion Mein Reservation Nahin Chalega", some Congress members shouted back "Promotion Mein Reservation Hokar Rahega".
After the House adjourned for the day, Mayawati sat next to Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley and talked to him briefly. Jaitley and some other BJP leaders were also seen chatting with BSP leader S C Misra.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit