Mayor’s New Year gift: Clock tower starts working again
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
Mayor Harcharan Singh Gohalwaria has gifted the city what none of the other mayors gifted on New Year ever. The hands of the historical clock tower, also called Ghanta Ghar, at Chaura bazaar started working again on the New Year eve. The mayor personally visited the site on Monday afternoon and got the clock repaired.
"The clock tower had not been working for the past so many years. It was repaired a few months back by someone else but again it stopped working. Today I rectified all the technical faults, and the clock is working again. Some newspapers reported that pigeons live in it and thus hamper its working but it is not so. There were some serious faults which have been repaired, and now it is my guarantee that for at least one year this landmark clock will not stop working," said Devinder Sharma, from Sharma Watch Company, who repaired the clock tower.
The mayor is very happy with the development. "Earlier, the city used to listen to the loud musical bells which used to ring every hour in this clock tower. They have not been working for the past so many years, and this company has been directed to get the bells repaired as well."