MBA grad among 3 held for making extortion calls
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh's book embarrasses PM; 'Singh had little political authority'
- Elections 2014 Live: FIR filed against Hema Malini, Pawar campaigns for daughter Supriya
An MBA graduate was among three arrested on Friday for making extortion calls claiming to be notorious underworld don Chhota Rajan, police said.
The main accused Manjoor Khan, a native of Bihar, is a Class XII dropout, while Ranvijay Rao, a native of UP, is an MBA graduate. The third associate, Mohammad Asif, also a native of Bihar, was pursuing an MSc degree, police said.
According to police, Manjoor Khan, and his associates Ranvijay Rao and Mohammad Asif, would pretend to be Chhota Rajan and demand money from people in Delhi and Gujarat.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northwest) M A Rizvi said, "The accused persons used to call up affluent people and threaten to kill their relatives if they refused to pay huge sums of money."
Police heard about the gang after a businessman from Pitampura told them that Chhota Rajan had been calling him and demanding Rs 15 lakh. The man said the accused threatened to kill his son if he approached police. "A special team was constituted and mobile phones of the callers were put on surveillance," Rizvi said.
"Based on the technical surveillance, a team was sent to Bihar as the calls were being made from the Nepal border area near Gopalganj," he said. The accused had asked the businessman to deliver the first instalment of Rs 6 lakh on January 8.
"The complainant was asked to carry a bag. Plainclothes policemen were deployed near Safdarjung Hospital, and the gang's collection agent was arrested. Another accused was arrested from Kidwai Nagar. The mastermind, Manjoor Khan, was in Bihar and unaware about the developments. He was arrested from IFFCO Chowk Metro station when he came to collect the extortion amount," Rizvi said.
Satender, the fourth gang member, is on the run, he said.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit