Meanwhile: UP police chief seeks death penalty for rape & murder
- Army used 'chilly grenades' to catch Pakistani militant Sajjad Ahmed
- IPL Governing Council proposes two new teams to replace CSK, RR
- Central govt announces 98 Smart Cities, Naidu terms them 'safe investments for pvt firms'
- Sheena Bora murder: Police meet Mikhail Bora; five-day transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna
- ISRO launches rocket carrying GSAT-6 from Sriharikota
UP police chief seeks death penalty for rape & murder
LUCKNOW: Uttar Pradesh DGP Ambrish Chandra Sharma Friday sought death penalty in cases of murder after rape. "I have written a letter to the state government asking it to take up the matter with Centre to ensure provisions of death penalty in cases of murder after rape," Sharma said. He also said eve-teasers or sexual harassment accused must be imprisoned immediately.
Lawyers body won't defend accused in women crimes
KENDRAPARA: Setting a precedent of sorts, lawyers' body in Orissa's Kendrapara has made up its mind to stay away from defending people facing trial in cases like rape, molestation and eve-teasing. While the move has evoked appreciative gesture from various spheres, legitimacy of the decision has come under sharp debate with legal fraternity raising question.