Meerut fake encounter: Chargesheet filed against 8 policemen
- In Delhi, Hardik Patel says he will take movement across country
- Bihar: BJP hits back, says it was not a Swabhiman rally but Apman rally
- Hindu women should never marry outside community: Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti
- Ready to amend Land Acquisition Act, ordinance will lapse tomorrow: PM
- Sheena murder case: Suitcase seized, accused taken to Raigad forest to 'recreate' crime scene
The Crime Branch-CID has filed a chargesheet in a Meerut court against eight policemen, including four sub-inspectors, in a case of fake encounter which took place in Meerut 10 years ago. The policemen have been charged with kidnapping and murder of Brij Pal, a farmer of Baghpat's Nirpuda village.
Inspector Satya Pal Sirohi, who investigated the case, said that nine persons were accused in the case, but one had died. The IO said they found the encounter was fake on the basis of evidence which included statements of locals, family members of the victim and others. The postmortem report also indicated that Brij Pal was killed in a fake encounter, added Singh.
On July 6, 2002, the Meerut police gunned down Brij Pal on the Delhi-Haridwar Highway under TP Nagar police circle. The police claimed that Brij Pal was killed in an exchange of fire and showed recovery of a country-made pistol.
However, the magisterial inquiry conducted into the encounter raised questions over the police theory. The then district magistrate forwarded the magisterial report to the state government, which ordered a CB-CID investigation in 2005.