Mendhar operation called off, ultras may have escaped
- To check pollution, Delhi govt announces curbs on plying of pvt vehicles
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: Delhi court orders fresh probe against Jagdish Tytler
- Centre, states must work together for India's progress: PM Modi
- Delhi Assembly passes Jan Lokpal Bill, Kejriwal calls it a 'historic moment'
- Mulayam as PM, Rahul his deputy: Akhilesh's formula for alliance with Congress
The security forces late tonight called off its operation against militants who were holed up in caves inside a dense jungle near the LoC for eight days and said the ultras may have slipped out.
"The operation has been called off. The possibility of militants having escaped cannot be ruled out", said Defence Spokesman S N Acharya.
The encounter, which has been going on since January 1, has claimed the lives of four militants and three security personnel including a Junior Commissioned Officer.
The suspension of the anti-militancy offensive came after a major combing operation was launched by the army earlier in the day cordoning all sides of the area in Bhati Dhar forest belt to zero in on the militants who were sheltered in the caves, Brigadier General Staff, 16 Corps, Brig Gurdeep Singh told PTI here.
- Undertake pay revisions at shorter intervals instead of every 10 years
- Kesavinyas: Impresssion of changing gender and sexuality landscape
- Contrary to the dominant view, development is not a benign caste-free alternative
- Victims of Pakistan’s blasphemy law are mostly the poor and the helpless
- As the climate worsens, will it matter which country was originally to blame?
- BJP setback in local polls may point to a growth model that does not create jobs