Mentally-challenged woman ‘raped’, two arrested
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
Two men were arrested Friday for allegedly raping a 35-year-old mentally-challenged woman behind a police chowky in Dharavi Thursday morning, police said.
Police said the incident occurred around 5 am behind the police chowky at Dharavi T-Junction. Three men, including two autorickshaw drivers, witnessed the accused taking the woman to the spot.
One of the eyewitnesses, Sarafat Ali Khan (31), said he was alerted by another autorickshaw driver. "We were waiting for passengers at Dharavi T-Junction. After some time, I got a passenger who wanted a drop to Dharavi bus depot. I was about to start the auto when the other driver said two men were taking the woman to a lane. The woman is mentally challenged and had been squatting at the junction for the past five days," he said.
The drivers and the passenger reached the spot after some time. "We could see the accused taking the woman to a spot behind the police chowky.We cornered the accused on reaching the spot. A crowd had gathered by then. Someone called up the police and a police van soon arrived at the spot," Khan said. Following this, an FIR was registered, he added.
The accused, identified as Abdul Salim Shaikh (21) and Ajay Ramsurat Jaisawal (20), are scrap dealers in Dharavi. Medical reports have confirmed rape, police said.
"We have got the custody of the duo and are investigating the case," said senior inspector Ambadas Pawar of the Dharavi police station. They have been charged under Sections 376 (rape) and 354 (molestation) of the IPC.
"She has been unable to tell us exactly what happened and changed her statements frequently. We arrested them Friday after recording a consistent statement," Pawar said.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today