Mercedes launches GL-Class premium SUV, priced at Rs 77.5 lakh
- LIVE: At least 7 dead, including 4 attackers; army deployed in Jakarta
- Jaish chief Masood Azhar goes online: Pakistan on dangerous road, God’s army won’t feel my absence
- SC calls plea against odd-even scheme a publicity stunt, refuses urgent hearing
- Comedian Kiku Sharda arrested again, Khattar says govt has no hand
- Four Indian youths ‘planning to join IS’ arrested in Syria
German carmaker Mercedes-Benz India on Thursday launched the second generation of its premium sports utility vehicle (SUV) GL-Class, reiterating its aggressive product portfolio for the Indian luxury car market. The off-roader will be available at Rs 77.50 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi).
In order to connect better with the Indian customers, the company has roped in former tennis star and its global brand ambassador Boris Becker to promote its range of products.
Initially, the company will sell only 130 units of the imported 'Launch Editions' in the country. The automaker will then start production of the off-roader locally at its Chakan plant near Pune from September this year, making India the second market after the United States to locally produce the GL-Class.
"2013 is the 'Year of Offensive' for Mercedes-Benz India. We have already succeeded with the new M-Class and now the introduction of the new GL-Class will further strengthen our dominance in the luxury large SUV segment. The GL-Class with its proven off-roading prowess is ideal to suit the taste of the growing number of off-roading aficionados in India, " said Eberhard Kern, Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India.
The GL-Class is one among the slew of products, including the upcoming hatchback A-class, that the company plans to launch in India, he added.
When asked if the company is chasing the number one position in the Indian luxury car market after being overtaken by German rival BMW and Audi, he said: "We are not in the numbers game. We are for profitable sustainability but with more products like the A-Class coming in, we should be able to strengthen our position in India."
Expressing his pleasure in launching vehicle in India, Becker, a Mercedes-Benz aficionado, said: "The GL-Class is a true blue SUV and the ultimate machine for off-roading… I enjoy going for off-roading with my family I believe that the vehicle is a perfect companion on those tracks."
- We need national framework to address agricultural problems
- A full engagement with Pakistan cannot withstand major terror strikes
- Increasing maternity leave is a tiny step for women at work
- Telescope: A question for TV
- ‘Comfort Women Peace Statue’: An uncomfortable legacy
- Suspending dialogue after terrorist attack gives jihadis a veto over talks