Mercury levels plummet as fog engulfs city, flights cancelled
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
Residents shivered, trains ran late and flights were grounded as fog engulfed the city on Saturday. The murky weather also led to a sharp dip in mercury levels with the maximum temperature being recorded at 13.8 degrees, seven degrees below normal, while the minimum temperature was 5.4 degrees, one degree below normal.
In contrast, the maximum temperature recorded on Friday was 20 degrees. The Met department has predicted foggy conditions in the morning and at night on Sunday. Met director Surinder Paul said conditions were conducive for further fog to occur. "Fog was present in most parts of Punjab and Haryana. In Punjab, while it was more in Ludhiana it was relatively less in Amritsar. It is expected to continue on Sunday as well," he added.
Thick fog enveloped the city on Saturday reducing visibility to less than 60 metres in some parts. The major fallout of the weather was the cancellation of all flights to and from Chandigarh Airport. Reduced visibility meant that none of the airlines could commence operations leaving passengers a harassed lot.
On the other hand, while a number of trains ran late, the Chandigarh-Delhi Express was altogether cancelled. The Kalka Shatabdi that arrives at Chandigarh at 11.05 am chugged in at 12.30 pm. The Chennai-Chandigarh Express arrived around five hours after its schedule arrival time at 4.20 am. The Sadhbhawna Express between Chandigarh and Lucknow arrived at 12.25 pm instead of its scheduled time at 10.15 am.
The Lucknow Express reached at 4.15 pm, around two hours behind schedule. The Himalayan Queen was late by around an hour. The Unchahar Express arrived at the station at 6 pm, while its arrival time is 9.55 am.
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today
- Class XII exams clash with polls, 4 postponed
- 11 traffic cops suspended for cop-out at key junctions