Meta-univ maths course to make ‘better teachers’
- Putin calls Turkey's downing of Russian jet 'stab in the back'
- Today, world looks towards India with great faith: PM in Singapore
- Aamir Khan at RNG awards: Here is the complete conversation
- Bomb attack on Tunisia presidential guard bus kills 11
- BJP MLA suspended from Delhi Assembly for abusing AAP legislator Alka Lamba
Masters in Mathematics Education aims to open avenues for those who could not go beyond BEd
Masters in Mathematics Education, the country's first meta-university course, is expected to begin from January 3, 2013, to provide "better mathematics teachers at the school level".
Dr Khursheed Haider, who has been teaching mathematics at Jamia Millia Islamia since 1994, said the course would open avenues for students who could not "go beyond BEd".
"Schoolteachers with a BEd will become eligible to do a PhD after completing this course. This will open avenues for them in higher education," he said.
He said central universities "may have to change their rules to recognise Masters in Mathematics Education as a regular course".
Teachers of the meta-university course were of the view that the way mathematics was being currently taught at the school level needed to be changed.
"I have seen students of Class VI to Class XII who are scared of this subject. There are others who find it boring. The way mathematics is taught at schools needs to changed. There is a scarcity of good teachers, too," Shobha Bagai, associate professor at Cluster Innovation Centre, Delhi University, said.
Bagai, who has a PhD from IIT-Delhi, joined the CIC in September last year to teach students of Masters in Mathematics Education. Earlier, she taught at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee College, Delhi University.
"The teaching experience at CIC is different from regular colleges. There it is difficult to get out of the conventional teaching mode. There is not much scope to give credit to students for coming up with out-of-the-box ideas. As a result, neither the student nor the teacher feel motivated," she said.
The meta-university course is a mix of mathematics and education, aiming to produce better teachers.
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it
- For many Bangladeshis, they hint at closure for 1971
- The big question: Proper returns to farmers
- Delhi HC versus DDCA
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy