Mexico City destroys toy guns to fight crime
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
Mexico City authorities say they have destroyed thousands of toy guns in an effort to fight real crimes committed with fake weapons.
Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said Friday that officials believe that at least three of every 10 violent crimes in Mexico City is committed with a realistic toy gun.
The guns were confiscated from shops in Mexico City and the surrounding state of Mexico. Mexico bans virtually all civilian gun ownership and requires that toy weapons be made of transparent or brightly colored plastic.
Sunday is Three Kings Day, when Mexican children receive the largest number of holiday gifts.
Official statistics show that there were 82,117 robberies and 1,349 homicides in Mexico City in the first 11 months of 2012.