Mexico City destroys toy guns to fight crime
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Mexico City authorities say they have destroyed thousands of toy guns in an effort to fight real crimes committed with fake weapons.
Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said Friday that officials believe that at least three of every 10 violent crimes in Mexico City is committed with a realistic toy gun.
The guns were confiscated from shops in Mexico City and the surrounding state of Mexico. Mexico bans virtually all civilian gun ownership and requires that toy weapons be made of transparent or brightly colored plastic.
Sunday is Three Kings Day, when Mexican children receive the largest number of holiday gifts.
Official statistics show that there were 82,117 robberies and 1,349 homicides in Mexico City in the first 11 months of 2012.