MHA gives details of spending on Kasab, not on Afzal
- Matter is serious, will take action against Bhagwat Mann: Speaker
- Hooliganism going on in name of gau raksha: Gujarat Chief Secretary
- Adarsh Society case: SC stays demolition, asks Defence Ministry to 'secure' building
- SC to hear plea seeking Governor's rule in Jammu and Kashmir
- ED slaps money laundering case against former Haryana CM BS Hooda
For the Home Ministry, there seems to exist different parameters when it comes to providing details of expenditure incurred on the security of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and 26/11 attacker Ajmal Kasab. Questions pertaining to the expenditure incurred on the security of both Afzal and Kasab were raised in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
While MoS, Home, R P N Singh gave full details of the expenditure incurred on Kasab, his colleague in the MHA, Mullapally Ramachandran, said that prison being a state subject, data was not Centrally maintained.
BJP MP Jai Prakash Narayan Singh through his unstarred question sought to know the total amount spent on Afzal under security and miscellaneous accounts and reasons of delay in execution of death penalty. Replying to the question, MoS, Home, Ramachandran said, "Prison is a state subject under the 7th schedule to the Constitution. Data of expenditure on prisoners is not maintained Centrally. The mercy petition of Guru is pending under Article 72 of the Constitution."
- Pakistan’s dependence on Saudi Arabia stands in their way against Islamic terrorism
- Protest over the demolition of Ambedkar Bhavan reveals a divided Dalit community
- Punjab’s drug problem is a national security issue
- Simultaneous elections will allow governments to devote four years for governance
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China