MHA gives details of spending on Kasab, not on Afzal
For the Home Ministry, there seems to exist different parameters when it comes to providing details of expenditure incurred on the security of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and 26/11 attacker Ajmal Kasab. Questions pertaining to the expenditure incurred on the security of both Afzal and Kasab were raised in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
While MoS, Home, R P N Singh gave full details of the expenditure incurred on Kasab, his colleague in the MHA, Mullapally Ramachandran, said that prison being a state subject, data was not Centrally maintained.
BJP MP Jai Prakash Narayan Singh through his unstarred question sought to know the total amount spent on Afzal under security and miscellaneous accounts and reasons of delay in execution of death penalty. Replying to the question, MoS, Home, Ramachandran said, "Prison is a state subject under the 7th schedule to the Constitution. Data of expenditure on prisoners is not maintained Centrally. The mercy petition of Guru is pending under Article 72 of the Constitution."
Another unstarred question was asked by Shiv Sena MP Bharatkumar Raut, who sought details of expenditure incurred on Kasab. R P N Singh said, "As per information furnished by the Government of Maharashtra and Indo-Tibetan border Police, as on 23.11.2012, an amount of Rs 31,39,02,589 has been incurred for the protection of Kasab."
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes