Midday meal cooks threaten statewide stir
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
The Democratic Midday Meal Cook Front, Punjab, has threatened to launch a statewide stir in case the state government does not withdraw its decision to hand over the scheme to private contractors.
Parveen Kumari Bhoara, district president of the front, said, "This scheme is already operational in districts like Nawanshahr, Fazilka and Ferorzepur. The working of the scheme in these districts has many loopholes, and we all have seen how some groups who call themselves NGOs are actually private contractors who have taken over this scheme."
Bhoara added, "These contractors are providing very low grade of raw material from which food for schoolgoing children