Midday meal cooks threaten statewide stir
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
The Democratic Midday Meal Cook Front, Punjab, has threatened to launch a statewide stir in case the state government does not withdraw its decision to hand over the scheme to private contractors.
Parveen Kumari Bhoara, district president of the front, said, "This scheme is already operational in districts like Nawanshahr, Fazilka and Ferorzepur. The working of the scheme in these districts has many loopholes, and we all have seen how some groups who call themselves NGOs are actually private contractors who have taken over this scheme."
Bhoara added, "These contractors are providing very low grade of raw material from which food for schoolgoing children