Midday meal cooks threaten statewide stir
- Indrani 'admits' to her role in Sheena's murder; Peter Mukerjea grilled again
- OROP row: Govt constantly shifting goalpost, say ex-servicemen
- SP quits Grand Alliance: More psychological dents than physical
- Kalburgi murder: Former Rama Sene chief detained in Mangaluru
- Non-state actors unleashing violence on innocent people: PM Modi
The Democratic Midday Meal Cook Front, Punjab, has threatened to launch a statewide stir in case the state government does not withdraw its decision to hand over the scheme to private contractors.
Parveen Kumari Bhoara, district president of the front, said, "This scheme is already operational in districts like Nawanshahr, Fazilka and Ferorzepur. The working of the scheme in these districts has many loopholes, and we all have seen how some groups who call themselves NGOs are actually private contractors who have taken over this scheme."
Bhoara added, "These contractors are providing very low grade of raw material from which food for schoolgoing children