Midday meal cooks threaten statewide stir
- Indonesian military plane crash death toll rises to 74
- Eurogroup turned down Greek bailout extension, says Finnish FinMin Alexander Stubb
- Disappointment creeping in over Modi govt's reform pace: Moody's
- Dholpur Palace: Congress' fresh document says it's a govt property
- Greece will not pay IMF debt on Tuesday: Finance minister
The Democratic Midday Meal Cook Front, Punjab, has threatened to launch a statewide stir in case the state government does not withdraw its decision to hand over the scheme to private contractors.
Parveen Kumari Bhoara, district president of the front, said, "This scheme is already operational in districts like Nawanshahr, Fazilka and Ferorzepur. The working of the scheme in these districts has many loopholes, and we all have seen how some groups who call themselves NGOs are actually private contractors who have taken over this scheme."
Bhoara added, "These contractors are providing very low grade of raw material from which food for schoolgoing children