Milan subway overbridge likely to open May-end
- Elections 2014 Live: Trinamool Congress workers beat up election officials in West Bengal
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
Though MMRDA is likely to complete work on the 700-metre Milan subway rail over-bridge in the next two months, it will not open to traffic until May-end or June as resolving traffic dispersal issues will take time.
MMRDA will have to wait for the road at the end of the ramp to be widened for smooth traffic dispersal. BMC will be in-charge of widening the road.
"We have had several rounds of discussions with BMC. It will have to shift a few marble shops near the ramps to widen the road. They have shifted a few and have started discussions to move the rest," said Ashwini Bhide, additional metropolitan commissioner at the MMRDA.
The construction of this flyover had started about five years ago and the project has missed several deadlines. The cost has swelled to Rs 84 crore from the original Rs 49 crore.
The rail over-bridge will bring relief to commuters who have to cross the Milan subway, a chronic flooding spot during monsoon. The heavily congested Milan subway connects SV Road and Western Express Highway. The under-construction flyover will relieve the congestion as vehicles from SV Road going in the direction of the Western Express Highway can take the over-bridge, while those going in the opposite direction can use the existing road below.
MMRDA is now focusing on completing the steel bridge that will take the flyover above the railway tracks between Vile Parle and Santacruz. It had earlier expected this activity to be completed in January.
"We have completed launching segments on one side of the steel bridge. However, Western Railway has now asked for additional temporary supports before we launch the rest of the segments. One of the segments had slipped a bit by a few milimetres," Bhide said, adding work on the steel bridge will conclude by February 15.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi