Minister stages protest for cause of cane farmers
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Show us the money, Supreme Court says, refuses bail to Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi High Court upholds death to four convicts
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy
- Prospects dim, Congress finding it hard to get many of its MPs to run for Lok Sabha
Congress MP and minister of state for Human Resource Development, Jitin Prasada led an agitation in front of a sugar mill in Hargaon, Sitapur on Saturday, raising various problems of the cane farmers of the area. Hargaon falls in Prasada's Dhaurahra parliamentary constituency of Lakhimpur Kheri. Sitting on a dharna in front of the mill, Prasada alleged that the mill manager is not purchasing the rejected variety of cane and the farmers are being harassed by middlemen and mill officials. As per a press release issued by the party, Prasada threatened of similar agitations across the state if the problems of farmers are not resolved.