Minor fire breaks out on INS Virat
- Sushil Kumar Shinde's threat: Will crush âelementsâ in media plotting against Congress
- Bihar: 13 RJD MLAs desert Lalu Prasad for Nitish Kumar, but six 'return' hours later
- In Gujarat, 2 Congress MLAs quit to join BJP
- Kejriwal says communalism bigger threat than graft
- Leopard injures seven, Meerut locks itself in
A minor fire broke out on India's only aircraft carrier, the INS Virat, last week when it was off Mumbai, but was brought under control soon with no injuries to the crew. The fire broke out in the air conditioning system of the ship.
Navy officers said it was a "minor" incident. "There were no injuries to any of the crew and the ship too has not suffered any damage," said an official.
The Virat, which is now over five decades old, has undergone a series of life extension programmes and refurbishments.
The incident follows the sinking of INS Sindhurakshak at the Mumbai harbour in which 18 personnel died.