Minor goes to court saying parents forcing her to marry
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Yuvraj, Kohli power RCB to thumping win
A court in Burdwan on Thursday directed police to investigate the complaint of a minor girl who has alleged that her parents were forcing her to marry a youth. Hearing the petition filed by the minor, a resident of Sukdal village, the Chief Judicial Magistrate Mohd Selim Ansari directed the officer-in-charge of Budbud police station to investigate the complaint and report to the court by February 28. The minor girl has alleged that her parents, uncle and other family members tried to marry her off to a youth against her wishes. When she refused, they physically tortured and threatened her.
Tusker kills girl, injures father
Jalpaiguri: A teenage girl was trampled to death and her father seriously injured by a tusker at Odlabari area of Jalpaiguri district early Thursday. Forest department sources said the 16-year old girl who tripped in front of the animal, died on the spot when the pachyderm tossed her with trunk and then trampled to death. Her father, who was on a side, was also pushed by the jumbo to the ground when he tried to save the girl. The father was rushed to hospital and his condition was serious, sources said.
4 die as car falls into pond
Canning: Four persons were killed when the car carrying them fell in a pond at Beniabati under Falta police station of South 24 Parganas district on Thursday evening. The four, all from Behala area, had gone for a trip to Falta and were returning home when the accident occurred. The driver is missing.