Minor raped by neighbour
- Eden to Eden, IPL Eight wonder
- Jayalalithaa announces welfare schemes worth Rs 1800 crore
- Heat wave continues to torment India; death toll rises to 368
- Will work towards abrogating Article 370 when we have numbers in Parliament: BJP
- Mathematician John Nash, who inspired 'A Beautiful Mind', killed in car crash
A minor girl was allegedly raped by her neighbour after he took her for prasad at a puja pandal at Katwa in Burdwan district. The girl's mother filed a police complaint alleging that their neighbour, Shyamal Karmakar, took her daughter on Wednesday for prasad at a puja organised by RPF and raped her, Superintendent of Police SMH Meerza said. Police have registered a case against Karmakar who has been admitted to hospital after locals beat him up, he said. Karmakar, who runs a small hotel, took the girl along with him with the permission of her returned hours later. On reaching home, the girl informed her mother about the incident following which her parents and locals assaulted the accused, Meerza said. Karmakar was later rescued and admitted to Katwa Sub-Divisional Hospital. The girl has been sent for medical examination, the SP said.
Cong supporter shot dead
Burdwan: A Congress party supporter was shot dead in a clash at Kesia Mathpara in Burdwan district, the police said on Thursday. Rahim Sk (25) was shot dead at about 9.40 pm on Wednesday when he was returning home, police said. Qurban Sk was arrested today on the basis of the complaint lodged by Rahim's family.