Minor raped by neighbour
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: DD steady but slow
A minor girl was allegedly raped by her neighbour after he took her for prasad at a puja pandal at Katwa in Burdwan district. The girl's mother filed a police complaint alleging that their neighbour, Shyamal Karmakar, took her daughter on Wednesday for prasad at a puja organised by RPF and raped her, Superintendent of Police SMH Meerza said. Police have registered a case against Karmakar who has been admitted to hospital after locals beat him up, he said. Karmakar, who runs a small hotel, took the girl along with him with the permission of her returned hours later. On reaching home, the girl informed her mother about the incident following which her parents and locals assaulted the accused, Meerza said. Karmakar was later rescued and admitted to Katwa Sub-Divisional Hospital. The girl has been sent for medical examination, the SP said.
Cong supporter shot dead
Burdwan: A Congress party supporter was shot dead in a clash at Kesia Mathpara in Burdwan district, the police said on Thursday. Rahim Sk (25) was shot dead at about 9.40 pm on Wednesday when he was returning home, police said. Qurban Sk was arrested today on the basis of the complaint lodged by Rahim's family.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18