Minorís rape: Principal held for negligence
- April 24 elections roundup: Four policemen, two polling officers killed in Maoist attack
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- IPL 7: KKR seal thriller in Sharjah
Headmistress of a school run by the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) in Vasco town of Goa was arrested on Sunday for negligence in connection with the rape of a seven-year-old girl on the school premises, the police said.
"Headmistress Sharlet Furtado was arrested this afternoon by South District police for negligence, which resulted in the sexual assault on the girl on January 14," DIG O P Mishra said.
Hinting at more arrests, Mishra said a case of negligence has been made out against Furtado and this is the first arrest in the case.
However, Mishra, supervising the investigations, said, "This is a blind case. It has no point of origin. We are trying to build up the entire case."
The police have registered two different cases related to the alleged sexual assault of the minor inside the school toilet. The incident had evoked strong reactions from parents and locals, who had hit the streets. The culprit, suspected to be a middle-aged man, is yet to be nabbed.
While the first case of rape is being investigated by special investigation team of Crime Branch, the case of negligence against the principal by South District police. Mishra further said a case of destruction of evidence has also been registered in connection with rape on the complaint of the parents who alleged the child was given bath, her inner-wear washed and the toilet was cleaned by the school authorities after the rape.