Minor who was gangraped twice dies a week after suicide bid
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A 16-year-old girl, who was gangraped twice in a day around two months ago at Madhyamgram in North 24-Parganas district of West Bengal and had attempted suicide on December 23, succumbed to her injuries at a hospital here Tuesday.
The victim was admitted to the RG Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata with 70 per cent burn injuries after she attempted self-immolation in her house near Dum Dum, where her family had shifted after the rape incidents at Madhyamgram.
A gang of men raped the girl on October 25 near her house. Later, the same day, when she was returning home along with her father, who is a taxi driver, and her mother after lodging a complaint with the local police station, she was again abducted by the same gang and raped, police said.
The severely injured victim was found lying unconscious near the railway tracks on the same day.
The family, originally from Samastipur in Bihar, had settled in Madhyamgram a year ago. However, they shifted to Dum Dum after some local goons threatened them with dire consequences if they didn't withdraw the case against the accused.
On December 23, a close associate of the gang leader had barged into their Dum Dum residence and again threatened them following which the girl tried to commit suicide the same day.
Meanwhile, father of the victim alleged that his daughter was not given proper medical treatment at the hospital. "We repeatedly requested the hospital authorities to shift her to the burn unit at PG hospital. But they did not pay attention to us," the victim's father said, adding that he has also lodged a case of medical negligence against the hospital authorities.
The father said nobody from the government visited the family.
"We want justice and we want that the criminals should be hanged," the father added.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express