Minors raped by Naxals to get Rs 5 lakh each
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
The Centre on Tuesday stepped in to help two minor girls who were allegedly gangraped by Maoists in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh. The two, aged 11 and 12, were rescued recently by the CRPF during a search operation. The Ministry of Home Affairs on Tuesday promised to give Rs 5 lakh to each of the victims and help rehabilitate their family members.
The two girls told CRPF they had been taken away from their village by Maoist cadres. They said that three cadres illegally confined and raped them over many months. The Maoists later abandoned them in the jungle.