Mitra lobs ‘freebie’ barb at CPM
- Rahul says Modi ignoring farmers, govt replies you looted them for 10 years
- Govt to give befitting reply to Hafiz Saeed's threat: Rijiju
- Would not be bad if we fulfill 50 percent promises: Arvind Kejriwal
- 'China wants to promote Indo-Pak peace talks amid Xi's visit'
- Suspected Pak vessel with 8 'smugglers' intercepted off Gujarat coast
State transport minister Madan Mitra today said he would ask Rabindranath Tagore Hospital, where CPM MLA Abdur Rezzak Mollah is undergoing treatment, to send him details of how many CPM leaders got treatment there without paying for it.
Mitra said this in reaction to a question on allegations that Trinamool leaders were mounting pressure on the hospital authorities to release Mollah, who was admitted there after being assaulted by a mob allegedly led by Trinamool leader Arabul Islam.
"I will write to the hospital authorities for details on how many CPM leaders and ministers had received treatment and how many of them did not pay for it in the last 15-20 years," Mitra said.
Asked if it was unbecoming of a minister to write to a private hospital seeking reports on treatment of patients, Mitra said he would seek the information not as a minister but as a public representative.
He added that some CPM MLAs had received medical reimbursement but did not pay for treatment.