Mixing smoking and alcohol can worsen your hangover: study
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Rohsenow said there is also evidence that a hangover affects attention and reaction time in the short term, so it might be unwise to drive or work in safety sensitive occupations with a hangover.
However, no-one is sure yet whether hangovers may signal some type of damage to the brain, but smoking is already known from other studies to aggravate the ill effects on the brain caused by years of heavy drinking.
Rohsenow said the findings, published in the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, suggest that if smokers are going to indulge in heavy drinking, it would be wise to at least cut down on cigarettes.