MLA called Jyoti from SIM cards procured on fake addresses, identities: Police
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh's book embarrasses PM; 'Singh had little political authority'
- Two yrs after townâs first-ever riots, Kosi Kalan shadow hangs large over Mathura
- Modi in TN, Jaya first time targets BJP
- Election Live: Vajpayee weekest PM, tweets Sanjay Jha; Congress insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws, says Modi
In what appears to be a breakthrough in the murder of 24-year-old Jyoti Rani involving Doon MLA Ram Kumar Chaudhary, investigations have revealed that he was in regular touch with her and was calling her from SIM cards procured on fake addresses and identities.
The girl was found murdered in Sector 21 on November 21.
Police investigations have revealed that Chaudhary procured the SIM cards in the name of one Suresh of Kullu in Himachal Pradesh and Anil Kumar, a resident of Jatonwalan Mohalla, Manimajra. But their addresses proved to be fake. From the numbers in the name of Suresh and Anil, sources said that Chaudhary used to call on the two numbers of Jyoti. However, these numbers used by the MLA as well as those by the girl have been switched off.
These disclosures have been made during the questioning of SIM card dealer Asheeh Kumar, who was arrested on Saturday. He has been living in Baddi, the same area to which the MLA belongs. The arrested dealer has confirmed that he issued the cards on fake addresses to Chaudhary.
Assistant Commissioner of Police, Panchkula, Virendar Singh said the SIM card dealer was remanded in judicial custody by a local court here.
Sources said that police also recovered the number used by Chaudhary, registered in his name, from the personal diary of the victim. He used to call from his original number on the third number of the girl which was not even known to her parents. She had given the third number to her landlords.
Police said that the location of Chaudhary's original number on the day of the murder had been tracked closer to the site where the girl was found murdered. Even the location of two fake numbers used by the MLA had been tracked to Chandigarh on the day of the murder.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit