MLAs from two Punjabs to play cricket, kabaddi matches: Sukhbir
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
The legislators of Indian Punjab Vidhan Sabha and Pakistan Punjab Legislative Assembly will be participating in cricket, kabaddi, wrestling and tug-of-war matches in the near future, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said on Tuesday.
"I have spoken to Pakistan Punjab Chief Minster Miyan Mohammad Shahbaz Sharif during my recent visit to Pakistan. Sharif had agreed that we can have cricket, kabaddi and tug-of-war matches between our MLAs and their legislators. He was very keen on this and accepted my proposal in this regard," Sukhbir told The Indian Express.
"But he said that this is only possible after March 2013 as their provisional elections will be announced soon and they will be busy in election campaigns. So the newly elected legislators of their assembly will come to play the matches here and our legislators will go to Pakistan," he said.
Sukhbir said that the modalities in this regard will be worked once their new assembly is formed.
During the opening ceremony of Dosti Cup, in Lahore, a few days back, Sharif had said: "Pakistan and India will test their skills in hockey, kabaddi, tug-of-war and wrestling. Punjab Cup will be organised between the two countries on bilateral basis after every two years."
"I have been endeavouring for last few years to promote traditional games, especially between India and Pakistan. The two world cup kabaddi tournaments had reiterated the resolve of the people of both countries to regain glory in traditional games of Asia and make collective efforts for that. I will recommend to centre to organise such events which aim at promoting sports besides bringing people closer," said Sukhbir.
"On the closing ceremony and mens' final for the third World Cup Kabaddi, from December 1 to 15, Sharif will be the chief guest. He will also be taking part in the first round table conference of commerce and trade between both Punjabs, to be held in Amritsar next month," he said.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'