MNS chief Raj Thackeray attacks Shobhaa De over statehood for Mumbai tweet
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray on Wednesday attacked writer Shobhaa De for suggesting that Mumbai could also be separated from Maharashtra as a separate state.
In a personal attack on De, the MNS chief went on to say that creating a state was not as easy as getting a divorce, which she would understand.
The attack by Raj Thackeray came after De posted a tweet: "Maharashtra and Mumbai??? Why not? Mumbai has always fancied itself as an independent entity, anyway. This game has countless possibilities."
According to reports, several other parties also slammed De over her tweet. While the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) reminded the writer of the sacrfices made for Mumbai to be a part of Maharashtra, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) said that such statement hurt the sentiment of the people.