MNS loses another seat in civic body
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
MNS received a fresh blow in the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) with another corporator of the party getting disqualified by the court, bringing the MNS strength from 29 to 27 this month.
Corporator Kalpana Bahirat has been disqualified for submitting a false caste certificate to contest a reserved seat.
On March 15, a local court had set aside the election of MNS corporator Priya Gadade for submitting a fabricated birth certificate in the 2012 civic body polls and had asked the PMC to conduct a fresh poll by June 30.
The reduction in MNS strength in the civic body makes the Congress with 28 corporators the second largest party in the PMC. In the civic polls, MNS had emerged the second largest party after the NCP. The MNS had left the Congress, Shiv Sena and BJP behind and bagged the post of the leader of opposition in the PMC.
"The membership of Bahirat as MNS corporator has been cancelled after it was found that she submitted a forged caste certificate for the civic polls," said Mangesh Joshi, deputy municipal commissioner of PMC.
He said the civic administration would convey the decision to the state election office and seek a bypoll for the vacated seat. Bahirat was elected from panel 40 and her caste certificate did not match the records of the caste verification department.
Gadade's membership had been rejected by the court after it was found that she submitted a forged birth certificate.
"We are now the second largest party and would claim the position of leader of opposition," said a Congress corporator.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'