Mob sets banquet hall afire, Delhi Metro shuts down Yamuna Bank, Vaishali line from Karkardooma
- Nobody will be allowed to break India's unity, says Rajnath after Masarat's arrest
- Modi should behave like a PM, not an RSS 'pracharak': Congress
- Vehicles set ablaze in Kolkata suburb after death of councillor's brother
- Yechury says Modi's frequent foreign trips to make up for years of not being able to fly
- VIDEO: The only Indian civilian to have done aerobatics on a Sukhoi
Locals went on a rampage in an east Delhi locality here this afternoon setting afire a banquet hall following the murder of a young driver, prompting Metro to suspend its services on a portion of the line linking UP.
As locals indulged in violence protesting the murder near Karkardooma station, Metro authorities did not run trains between Yamuna Bank and Vaishali in UP between 4:15 PM and 6:20 PM, officials said.
It all started after Rakesh Kumar (31) was found dead on a pavement in Karkardooma at around 2 PM.
He was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead and police registered a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Meanwhile, police claimed that a rumour spread in the area that police have not registered a case. There was also some delay at the hospital in conducting the post mortem.
Enraged at this, locals assembled near Karkardooma Metro station and started protesting. Though they did not target the station, the protesters set afire a vehicle and a nearby banquet hall.
Following this, Metro authorities closed the Karkardooma station and taking safety and security issues into consideration, it stopped services between Yamuna Bank and Vaishali.
However, the services were restored two hours later but trains did not stop at Karkardooma station till the situation was fully brought under control.