Mobile phone of accused sent for data recovery
- Delhi: Multi-vehicle pileup on NH-1 leaves at least five dead
- Siachen avalanche: Air pocket under 35 ft of snow kept Lance Naik Hanumanthappa alive
- Facts dispute claims by banks: write-off gallops, recovery crawls
- Upset allies Akali Dal and Shiv Sena let BJP know: Keep us in loop
- David Headley deposition adjourned for the day following technical glitch
Gamdevi Police probing the rape of a 35-year-old have sent cell phone of arrested accused Datta Kothavle for data recovery. They suspect the security guard of a temple trust deleted a video showing the victim as being compromised.
Kothavle, head of security at TG Pavilion Trust on Peddar Road, was arrested last week for allegedly raping the wife of a hawker several times over the past six months. He allegedly drugged the woman, filmed her naked and used the clip to blackmail her into submission.
The victim's husband has a stall outside Trimbakeshwar Temple run by the trust. "Kothavle's cellphone does not contain any video. We suspect he deleted it in the six days he was absconding and have sent the phone for data recovery," said Pradip Lonandkar, senior inspector.
A police team has been sent to Jejuri in Pune district to verify the victim's claim that Kothavle stalked her to the point of turning up at her house in her native place.