Mobile phone of accused sent for data recovery
- RJD splits as 13 MLAs desert Lalu Prasad for Nitish Kumar, but six âreturnâ
- No death penalty for Italian marines, Centre tells Supreme Court
- Rahul slams Modi on migrant issue, says BJP playing divisive politics
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case: SC to hear Centre's plea on restraining TN govt from releasing convicts
- Leopard on the loose in Meerut, officials order closure of schools and colleges
Gamdevi Police probing the rape of a 35-year-old have sent cell phone of arrested accused Datta Kothavle for data recovery. They suspect the security guard of a temple trust deleted a video showing the victim as being compromised.
Kothavle, head of security at TG Pavilion Trust on Peddar Road, was arrested last week for allegedly raping the wife of a hawker several times over the past six months. He allegedly drugged the woman, filmed her naked and used the clip to blackmail her into submission.
The victim's husband has a stall outside Trimbakeshwar Temple run by the trust. "Kothavle's cellphone does not contain any video. We suspect he deleted it in the six days he was absconding and have sent the phone for data recovery," said Pradip Lonandkar, senior inspector.
A police team has been sent to Jejuri in Pune district to verify the victim's claim that Kothavle stalked her to the point of turning up at her house in her native place.
"We are interrogating the accused to check if he similarly exploited others but he is not cooperating. We appeal to other victims, if any, to come forward," Lonandkar said.
- 4 more bodies found on Arunachal border, curfew in Assam town
- ‘Polls have come in the way of new norms for tech institutes’
- Food security Act also covers foreign nationals, refugees, says Law Ministry
- Lokayukta meets Bhardwaj over Bill
- Days before school admissions start, HC order on RTE creates confusion
- NGO seeks funds to train HIV+ patients