Model ‘Grandpa’ takes China by storm
- Missing Malaysian jetliner: Plane's disappearance deliberate, says Malaysian PM
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
- Arrest warrant issued against Devyani Khobragade in US visa fraud case
- Unfazed, Arvind Kejriwal fires yet another salvo at media
- CRPF says police stalled its plan, may have averted Maoist ambush
Liu Qianping was visiting his 24-year-old granddaughter, an aspiring fashion designer, in Guangzhou recently when her fashion clothing line caught his eye.
Lu Ting had booked a model for a photoshoot to promote their clothes online, but was suddenly cancelled, dealing a blow to their new venture.
However, Grandpa Liu, a 72-year-old former farmer visiting to escape the chilly winter of central Hunan province, stepped in to help.
"I walked into the room and saw the clothes...I thought they looked quite interesting and cute," Liu told Reuters.
"So I tried on a jacket and they found it really funny, and I thought it was quite funny. So they asked if they could take pictures of me and post them on the Internet to sell the clothes. And I said, 'why not?"
And that was it — a new star was born.
Liu, known affectionately as MaDiGaGa — funny elderly — is now one of China's most recognised models.
Delighted with his new fame, Liu says he now sometimes looks at fashion programmes on television for ideas on how to pose. He also has opinions on styling. "He will tell us which items should be stronger and what should be improved," Ting said.
Since her grandfather became involved, visits to their site have increased four-fold.
Liu said he had been approached by other companies but had turned them down.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy