Moderate quake jolts northwest China
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
An earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale jolted the junction area of northwest China's Gansu and Qinghai Provinces this morning.
No casualties have been reported so far, according to local authorities.
A 5.1-magnitude earthquake hit a region between Sunan county, Gansu Province, and Menyuan county, Qinghai Province, at 5:37 a.m. (local time), the China Earthquake Networks Center said.
The epicenter, with a depth of seven km, state run Xinhua news agency quoted the centre as saying.
The quake was felt strongly in the county seat of Menyuan, Feng Xiuying, vice director of publicity department of the Menyuan County said.
Initial investigation showed no houses have been toppled in the county seat. People have rushed to a square to take refuge.
As the temperature is low, some people took their cars as temporary shelters to keep warm, Feng said.
The quake was also felt in the city of Xining, capital of Qinghai Province, which is about 150 km away from Menyuan county.
No casualties have been reported in the neighboring Gansu Province, the emergency office of the province said.
The quake lasted for about 12 seconds and was felt slightly in Sunan county when most local residents were asleep. The county has launched an emergency plan and sent quake-relief teams to the affected areas.