Modhwadia, Gohil, Patel, in Congress first list
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
Gujarat PCC chief Arjun Modhwadia, CLP leader Shaktisinhji Gohil, former PCC chief Siddharthbai Patel and several other sitting MLAs figure in the first list of Congress candidates announced by the AICC for the state Assembly elections.
While Motwadia has been re-nominated for his Porbandher seat, Gohil has been fielded from Bhavnagar rural. Patel is the party nominee from Dabhoi.
A total of 52 candidates have been announced for the phase I and II elections.
In the 182-member Gujarat Assembly, Congress has been in opposition for last two decades.
The Election Commission has already issued notification for the first phase of Gujarat Assembly elections for 87 constituencies where voting will be held on December 13.
Notification for elections to remaining 95 seats (of the total 182) in phase II will be issued on November 23. The second phase of polling will take place on December 17.
Congress has given tickets to some 20 sitting MLAs, plus seven others who had lost in 2007.
A noteworthy candidature is that of sitting MP from Rajkot, Kuvarji Bavaliya, who has been fielded from Botad in Bhavnagar district, the constituency of Minister of State for Energy Saurabh Patel.
Bavailya belongs to Koli community, which is numerically strong in Botad.
Son of Congress MP Vitthal Radadia, Jayesh has been given ticket from Jetpur constituency of Rajkot district. Congress has also given ticket to veteran cooperative movement leader Natwarlal Patel from Mehasana.
Former BJP MLA Jitu Patel, who joined Congress recently, has been given ticket from Naranpura in Ahmebabad city.