Modi 100 pc secular, best PM nominee: Jethmalani
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Suspended BJP leader Ram Jethmalani on Tuesday joined the chorus for declaring Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party's prime ministerial candidate. "Narendra bhai is the best prime minister for this country...Modi, in my definition of secularism, is 100 per cent secular," said Jethmalani.
Given the fact that the JD(U), BJP's alliance partner, harbours reservations against Modi's credentials on the issue of secularism, the Rajya Sabha MP asserted, "I believe that he is impeccably secular and when I use the word best, it means better than all those, who, according to me, are known aspirants of the job."
He lamented that 'secular' and 'communal' categorisations were now being used as "words of abuse than political dialogue". He alleged that opponents of Modi's candidature are "those who use the words, don't even understand its meaning, particularly the word secularism".
Reminding that he had made this point late last year, Jethmalani derived satisfaction that senior party leader Yashwant Sinha has voiced identical sentiment.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today