Modi 100 pc secular, best PM nominee: Jethmalani
Suspended BJP leader Ram Jethmalani on Tuesday joined the chorus for declaring Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the party's prime ministerial candidate. "Narendra bhai is the best prime minister for this country...Modi, in my definition of secularism, is 100 per cent secular," said Jethmalani.
Given the fact that the JD(U), BJP's alliance partner, harbours reservations against Modi's credentials on the issue of secularism, the Rajya Sabha MP asserted, "I believe that he is impeccably secular and when I use the word best, it means better than all those, who, according to me, are known aspirants of the job."
He lamented that 'secular' and 'communal' categorisations were now being used as "words of abuse than political dialogue". He alleged that opponents of Modi's candidature are "those who use the words, don't even understand its meaning, particularly the word secularism".
Reminding that he had made this point late last year, Jethmalani derived satisfaction that senior party leader Yashwant Sinha has voiced identical sentiment.
- RTI reveals ‘flaws’ in preparation of poll rolls
- Post poll, parties do seat maths
- Cops speak for Pawar: ‘He didn’t threaten voters’
- Industrial bodies announce boycott of Bains
- EC issues notices to Bittu, Ayali
- Punjab dairy board asks for Rs 1.4 lakh for 70,000-page RTI reply, later delivers a few 100 pages ‘free of cost’