Modi mobile phone covers hit Ludhiana markets
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Mobile phone covers with photographs of the BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi have hit the market in Ludhiana.
The covers, which are popular among Modi fans, are the brainchild of Balwinder Singh, a shopkeeper who went to China and got these specially made to capitalise on the growing popularity of the Gujarat chief minister.
"I noticed people here are going crazy for Modi. I visited China and got these covers made. In a very short time, these covers have become a trend,'' Singh said, adding that youths and women are the main buyers.
Soon, Singh started getting demands for phone covers carrying photographs of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
"I also got Badal and Sukhbir covers made," he said.
Singh said he got the phone covers made in China because "it's cheap and fast. I got them prepared for about Rs 170 each, which is quite affordable. Moreover, they made for us covers for phones of all sizes and companies.''
Simranjeet Kaur, a local resident who was a buying Modi cover, said, "It costs Rs 250 but I don't think that it is much to show your support for your candidate. I am planning to send these to my brothers too who are settled in New Zealand."
Singh added that a few customers from Jagraon, where Modi is scheduled to address a rally on December 21, also came to buy the covers.