Modi, Mulayam rally to clash again
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Terming it a "mere coincidence", the Samajwadi Party has announced its rally at Badaun on December 20, the day Bharatiya Janata Party's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, too, will address his Vijay Shankhnad rally in Varanasi.
Earlier, SP's 'Desh Bachao Desh Banao' rally, held in Bareilly on November 21, had coincided with Modi's Agra rally.
The SP leaders had claimed then that attendance at their rally had overshadowed that of Modi's, and that "the same story will be repeated when SP takes out its Vikas rally alongside Modi's Vijay Shankhnad rally," a senior party leader said.
"It (the clashing of date) is a mere coincidence. We were planning our Badaun rally for quite some time. (The rally date, first scheduled for December 9, was changed to December 14 and then to December 21.) Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav finally settled on December 20. It should not be treated as a deliberate attempt," Dharmendra Yadav, party's MP from Badaun and organiser of the rally, said.
"Our rally will focus on the development projects and welfare schemes launched by the CM. We are not worried about any other major rally that may take place on the day," he added, in an apparent reference to BJP's rally.
The MP, however, did not rule out comparisons with Modi's Vijay Shankhnad rally. "Media may put it this way. They may compare, but our rally will be the largest in Badaun's history," he said.
The two parties, meanwhile, are being cautious in not letting their respective main speaker's address speech coincide.
On the day of rally, Akhilesh will lay foundation stone of state medical college in Gunaura Wajidpur village along with a dozen projects.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress