Modi visits Matoshree, rings up Raj Thackeray
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi who had skipped Bal Thackeray's funeral on Sunday paid a visit to Matoshree two days later to offer his condolences. He also reportedly called up MNS chief and Bal Thackeray's nephew Raj Thackeray on phone during his ride back to the airport.
Modi drove to Matoshree early on Tuesday morning and was closeted with immediate members of the Thackeray family including Uddhav and Aditya for over 40 minutes.
Modi is supposed to have offered his condolences even as Uddhav enquired about the upcoming Gujarat elections.
Modi and Bal Thackeray had shared an uneasy relationship. The Thackerays were not too happy with the reference to Modi as a Hindu Hriday Samrat (Rulers of Hindu's hearts) which they claimed had been originally coined for Bal Thackeray.
Besides, Modi shares excellent relations with Raj who had floated the MNS after splitting from the family and the Shiv Sena. Raj had attended Modi's Sadbhavna fast last year and had been invited by Modi earlier to visit the state and check out progress there. Modi, however, does not share the same rapport with Uddhav.
During his visit to Matoshree, Modi was accompanied by senior BJP leader Vinod Tawde and BJP Mumbai unit president Raj Purohit.
Modi who did not meet with Raj reportedly called him up on his way to the airport.