Modi welcomes elevation of Rajnath as party chief
- Ghulam Ali's concert in Mumbai cancelled after Shiv Sena's threat
- PM Modi a sensitive person, don't judge him on social media posts: BJP on Dadri lynching
- Why President Mukherjee hit the right notes on core values of 'diversity', 'plurality' and 'tolerance'
- Barack Obama apologises for air strike on Kunduz hospital: White House
- Commercial vehicles entering Delhi to pay environmental tax: NGT
Chief Minister Narendra Modi Wednesday welcomed the elevation of Rajnath Singh as BJP president, saying he has always been associated with farmers which would benefit the party.
"I called up Shri Rajnath Singh ji and congratulated him. He brings with him vast experience of both organisation and administration," Modi tweeted on social networking site twitter.
"Rajnath Singhji served as Agriculture Minister in Atalji's government. He has always been associated with the farmers. BJP will gain from this," he said in a second tweet.
The BJP Parliamentary Board earlier met today to discuss the new developments.
BJP general secretary Ananth Kumar told reporters that in the meeting senior BJP leader L K Advani moved a resolution appreciating the good work done by the outgoing President Nitin Gadkari. Gadkari, facing allegations of dubious funding of his company, was forced out of the race for BJP president's post and Singh emerged the consensus choice for the office.