Modi welcomes elevation of Rajnath as party chief
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
Chief Minister Narendra Modi Wednesday welcomed the elevation of Rajnath Singh as BJP president, saying he has always been associated with farmers which would benefit the party.
"I called up Shri Rajnath Singh ji and congratulated him. He brings with him vast experience of both organisation and administration," Modi tweeted on social networking site twitter.
"Rajnath Singhji served as Agriculture Minister in Atalji's government. He has always been associated with the farmers. BJP will gain from this," he said in a second tweet.
The BJP Parliamentary Board earlier met today to discuss the new developments.
BJP general secretary Ananth Kumar told reporters that in the meeting senior BJP leader L K Advani moved a resolution appreciating the good work done by the outgoing President Nitin Gadkari. Gadkari, facing allegations of dubious funding of his company, was forced out of the race for BJP president's post and Singh emerged the consensus choice for the office.