Mohali airport: With sand, gravel back, work picks up pace
- Modi dares China, asks it to give up âexpansionistâ plans
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Halted due to the high price of gravel in Punjab, the construction work at the international airport in Mohali has finally gained some pace with sand and gravel being made available.
"A few months back, the Punjab and Haryana governments had banned mining in the states due to which the material was not available for construction and work had to be stalled,'' said an official working at the site on condition of anonymity.
Sources said the Airport Authority of India (AAI) had allotted the work for laying the apron and taxiways at the international airport to Vishal Infrastructures Limited, a Bangalore-based company, at a cost of Rs 30 crore after bids were invited. The company was given 15 months' time to finish constructing the apron and taxiways. But due to shortage of gravel and sand, the company left the work. Now L&T is expected to lay the apron and taxiways. While only pre-mix is to be laid, the other basic work has already been done.
"By January next year, we expect to complete the apron and taxiways at the airport. Its earlier deadline was Diwali this year,'' said an officer. "Also, we will meet the November 2014 deadline to finish the project.''
L&T has been given two and a half year to complete the airport.
The airport will be a green building with solar panels on top as it will be built in four phases. Now the construction work on the first phase will start as the AAI has already sanctioned Rs 500 crore. Also, the detailed project report has been prepared and the architect has cleared the design of the airport.
In the first phase, only one terminal will be constructed and for that, Rs 450 crore has been sanctioned.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express