Mohanís art of selling
- After Fali Nariman, former SC judge questions Lokpal selection process
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Flanked by Paswans, Modi sells âN(Development)Aâ
- Gadkari âproposalâ for Raj: Donât put up candidates for LS
- CBI to look into DLF high-rise plan near Rashtrapati Bhavan
Street vendors in India can be as customer savvy as any famous marketing guru. With barely any basic schooling, they live and operate by their wits. Their livelihood tools are speed, being hands-on, a thorough understanding of who their customer is, a persuasive personality with a ready smile, keeping an eye open and using some differentiating method to score over other street vendors, and the ability to be at the right place at the most opportune time. What more do you need to be able to sell?
In Mumbai's traffic jams are young vendors peddling books and magazines. One day I observed a bookseller rushing from one car window to another, reshuffling the order of the books in his hands. This aroused my curiosity.
During another Mumbai trip, at that ephemeral traffic signal, I again saw deft shuffling of books within the short, valuable time the street seller has to sell his wares. Here he works within the discipline of street lights, adjusts with the time car passengers take to read book blurbs, and simultaneously extracts money from them. I bought three books from a vendor called Mohan and had a chat with him at the street corner. When I asked him why he shuffled the books, Mohan laughed saying he changes the book display order for passengers on either side of the same car. Then he explained how to understand diverse kinds of customers. They have to quickly identify the customer type from looking at the car, how the driver is dressed, the mood of the passenger in the back seat. From Mohan's descriptions, I understood that he possesses the fine art of customer identification. He shuffles his books depending on on-the-spot recognition of customer type. How many frontline sales managers of corporations do you know who can absorb such sales techniques and apply them in their jobs?
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore