Actress molestation row: Imphal on boil, DD cameraman dies in police firing
- Top BJP ministers attend RSS meet, Opposition questions govt's accountability
- Bharat bandh: Violence, arrest, chaos; one-day strike a 'grand success'
- Indrani, Peter brought face to face, questioned extensively; Sanjeev Khanna's laptop seized
- OROP: Veterans soften stand, may accept pension revision once in two years
- Govt to auction 69 oil & gas fields of ONGC, Oil India to private firms
Protests in Manipur against the assault on a Manipuri film actress took an ugly turn on Sunday when a Doordarshan cameraperson was killed in police firing in Imphal.
Thirty-two-year-old Thangjam Buijamani, or Nanao as he was called by friends and colleagues, was covering the protest when he was shot in the chest during a protest demonstration in Thangmeiband in the heart of the state capital.
The last footage recorded by Buijamani was screened later at the city Press Club, where journalists had gathered to decide on a course of action on the firing. It showed a constable-level policeman aiming directly at Buijamani with his pistol when he fired the shot. A senior-level police official can be seen at the spot.
Buijamani is survived by his wife and two children.
As journalists threatened a protest, Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh announced that all police personnel present at the spot have been suspended.
Imphal has been seeing protests since last week after an armed cadre member of the NSCN (IM), Livingstone Anal, reportedly went on a rampage, molesting and assaulting the actress Momoko at a public event.
The largely Meitei (Hindu Manipuri) demonstrators have now started attacking vehicles headed to tribal districts, mostly carrying Christians.