Actress molestation row: Imphal on boil, DD cameraman dies in police firing
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi breaks silence, says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- JuD chief Hafiz Saeed: Hindus safe in Pakistan unlike Muslims in Gujarat
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
Protests in Manipur against the assault on a Manipuri film actress took an ugly turn on Sunday when a Doordarshan cameraperson was killed in police firing in Imphal.
Thirty-two-year-old Thangjam Buijamani, or Nanao as he was called by friends and colleagues, was covering the protest when he was shot in the chest during a protest demonstration in Thangmeiband in the heart of the state capital.
The last footage recorded by Buijamani was screened later at the city Press Club, where journalists had gathered to decide on a course of action on the firing. It showed a constable-level policeman aiming directly at Buijamani with his pistol when he fired the shot. A senior-level police official can be seen at the spot.
Buijamani is survived by his wife and two children.
As journalists threatened a protest, Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh announced that all police personnel present at the spot have been suspended.
Imphal has been seeing protests since last week after an armed cadre member of the NSCN (IM), Livingstone Anal, reportedly went on a rampage, molesting and assaulting the actress Momoko at a public event.
The largely Meitei (Hindu Manipuri) demonstrators have now started attacking vehicles headed to tribal districts, mostly carrying Christians.
The United Naga Council in Manipur meanwhile has alleged that Nagas in Imphal are being targeted.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready