Mollah in hospital after assault, CPM accuses TMC leader
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- SC allows annual cap of 20m tonnes of iron ore mining in Goa
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Pt Channulal Mishra backs Modi but Bismillah's family won't
CPM MLA and former minister Abdur Rezzaq Mollah (70) was hospitalised after Trinamool Congress cadres, allegedly led by former MLA Arabul Islam, assaulted him on Sunday at Bhangar. The incident triggered tension in the area with CPM cadres taking to the streets and demanding immediate arrest of culprits, including Arabul Islam.
According to reports, the attack took place around 12.30 pm when Mollah was coming to the party office at Katatala which was burnt down on Saturday night allegedly by Trinamool-backed goons. Trinamool supporters, led by Arabul, reportedly stopped Mollah's car and ransacked the vehicle. Trinamool cadres pounced on Mollah and beat him up. When he fell on the road, they punched him on his face and kicked on his chest. The assault continued till policemen came to the spot. Mollah was taken to a private hospital in his car.
State Left Front chairman Biman Bose issued a press release demanding arrest of Arabul and the other attackers.
Dismissing charges, Arabul said: "Mollah is telling a lie."
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota