Mollah in hospital after assault, CPM accuses TMC leader
- Election LIVE: BJP's third candidate list out, Ram Kripal to contest from Patliputra against Lalu's daughter
- Show us the money, Supreme Court says, refuses bail to Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi High Court upholds death to four convicts
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy
- Prospects dim, Congress finding it hard to get many of its MPs to run for Lok Sabha
CPM MLA and former minister Abdur Rezzaq Mollah (70) was hospitalised after Trinamool Congress cadres, allegedly led by former MLA Arabul Islam, assaulted him on Sunday at Bhangar. The incident triggered tension in the area with CPM cadres taking to the streets and demanding immediate arrest of culprits, including Arabul Islam.
According to reports, the attack took place around 12.30 pm when Mollah was coming to the party office at Katatala which was burnt down on Saturday night allegedly by Trinamool-backed goons. Trinamool supporters, led by Arabul, reportedly stopped Mollah's car and ransacked the vehicle. Trinamool cadres pounced on Mollah and beat him up. When he fell on the road, they punched him on his face and kicked on his chest. The assault continued till policemen came to the spot. Mollah was taken to a private hospital in his car.
State Left Front chairman Biman Bose issued a press release demanding arrest of Arabul and the other attackers.
Dismissing charges, Arabul said: "Mollah is telling a lie."