Mollah in hospital after assault, CPM accuses TMC leader
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
CPM MLA and former minister Abdur Rezzaq Mollah (70) was hospitalised after Trinamool Congress cadres, allegedly led by former MLA Arabul Islam, assaulted him on Sunday at Bhangar. The incident triggered tension in the area with CPM cadres taking to the streets and demanding immediate arrest of culprits, including Arabul Islam.
According to reports, the attack took place around 12.30 pm when Mollah was coming to the party office at Katatala which was burnt down on Saturday night allegedly by Trinamool-backed goons. Trinamool supporters, led by Arabul, reportedly stopped Mollah's car and ransacked the vehicle. Trinamool cadres pounced on Mollah and beat him up. When he fell on the road, they punched him on his face and kicked on his chest. The assault continued till policemen came to the spot. Mollah was taken to a private hospital in his car.
State Left Front chairman Biman Bose issued a press release demanding arrest of Arabul and the other attackers.
Dismissing charges, Arabul said: "Mollah is telling a lie."