Monica death case: Police add murder charges
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
Confirming that the 32-year-old computer teacher, Monika Goyal, a resident of Sector 21 was murdered and had not committed suicide, the charges of murder (section 302 of the Indian Penal Code) have been added by the Chandigarh Police. The preliminary reports from the Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory (CFSL) have confirmed the cause of death as strangulation and not by hanging.
"We have received certain reports from CFSL which hint that Monika was allegedly murdered. Hence, we have added the charges of murder. We are awaiting rest of the reports from the CFSL", said, Deputy Inspector of Police (DSP) Vijay Kumar, who is heading the Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed after the family members of the deceased approached the city Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Naunihal Singh on October 31.
He also added that, "All the people who were present in the house at the time of Monika's death will be booked under the charges of murder, investigation for the same is going on".
Monika's family has been alleging since the day Monika died on October 15 that she was murdered. They have been claiming that Monika was murdered as her clothes were changed and then she was hung to present the her death as a suicide.
On October 15, Monika Goyal, a 32 year old computer teacher was allegedly found hanging in her sector 21 residence. According to her in-laws, her husband Vikas Goyal first found Monika. The family of Monika's in-laws then took her to the Government Multi–Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector 16 where she was declared dead on arrival.
Monika's family then gave a statement to the police saying that she was being harassed by her in-laws since she got married to Vikas in the year 2002. She had returned home on many occasions due to matrimonial disputes.
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar